We represent our clients in state and local tax disputes with integrity and outstanding quality, and in the most effective manner. Not all tax controversies should be resolved in court. Our philosophy is to deliver maximum value to our clients by using our knowledge and skills to address tax problems as soon as they arise, and to take advantage, where possible, of all opportunities to efficiently resolve them in an informal setting.
Our state and local tax group brings extensive experience and practical approaches to tax matters, including experience as former tax attorneys with the Texas State Comptroller and the Attorney General's Taxation Division. We provide advice and representation for state tax audits, refund claims and redeterminations regarding sales and use, franchise, and other taxes administered by the Texas State Comptroller. We also assist clients with the full range of local tax matters including franchise fees, and property tax abatements, valuations, exemptions, appeals and litigation. We are committed to the most effective and efficient representation of our clients by focusing on creative solutions for resolving tax disputes at the earliest stage possible:
- We assist clients with transactional planning to avoid and minimize potential tax problems.
- We participate during the pre-audit and audit process to address and resolve controversies that might otherwise result in significant tax assessments.
- Where earlier resolutions are not possible, we represent clients in administrative contested case hearings and in tax suits in court.
We have been very successful in providing value to our clients:
- After extensive contract interpretation negotiations during a sales tax audit, we successfully negotiated a reduction of a proposed $13 million audit assessment to less than $100,000. This resolution allowed the client to avoid the issuance of a large formal tax assessment and the attendant time and expense of a formal redetermination hearing and litigation.
- For a client with a $1 million sales tax assessment that had failed to timely request a redetermination hearing, we successfully negotiated placement of the matter in the hearings process, and presented documentation to the audit division that resulted in a negotiated, 90% reduction of the original audit liability.
- Subsequent to completion of an audit and prior to commencement of a redetermination hearing, we negotiated an audit resolution for a client faced with a $300,000 hotel tax assessment through an agreement to provide additional sample documentation that resulted in a 75% reduction of the tax assessment.
Attorneys who practice Tax Law